Volunteers are the heart of our program. We rely on them to provide quality services for every family that comes to Fernside. We are lucky to have the very best volunteers. Our volunteers tell us they receive as much from volunteering as they give.
Our volunteers come to us with a variety of backgrounds and life experiences. They are homemakers, teachers, mental health professionals, business professionals, students and retirees. Some, but not all, of our volunteers have experienced losses as children or adults. Most of all, they are caring individuals who understand the importance of providing support to grieving children and their parents/guardians.
Reflections from Fernside Volunteers:
- "The Fernside staff has been instrumental at educating and preparing me to become an effective facilitator. You have always been patient, super helpful and are always available to answer and questions I have. Thank you for taking the time to teach me!" ~Heidi Bothe
- "The satisfaction of knowing that our training and time together with the children helps them with their grief process, keeps me coming back as a volunteer." ~ Blake Dowlin
- “The thing I like most about facilitating groups at Fernside is that I’m able to help group members to realize that they’re not alone in their grief and that their grief is manageable." ~ Vivian Jones
- "My passion for Fernside’s mission and their dedicated staff keeps me coming back year after year to volunteer. This volunteer work serves me well as a person, I always learn something new about myself. It adds to my personal growth." ~ Judy McAuliffe
- "The thing I like most about facilitating groups at Fernside is the feeling I get that I’m doing something meaningful. I’m inspired by people’s courage and strength." ~ Nick Whitney